Watney, Combe, Reid & Co. Ltd
Watney, Combe, Reid & Co. Ltd, Stag Brewery, Pimlico, London SW1
Founded by William Greene 1641. Came under the control of James Watney 1858.
Registered 1885 as Watney & Co. Ltd. In 1889, they acquired the Mortlake brewery of Phillips, More & Co. Ltd.
After the merger with Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd in 1958, the Pimlico Brewery was closed on 23rd April 1959 and brewing was concentrated at Mann's Albion Brewery and Mortlake; the latter was renamed 'Stag Brewery' at this time.
The Hind Statue once in the front of the offices is now located in Lockmeadow shopping mall, Maidstone.
Takeover and closure trail:
- Carter, Wood & Co, Artillery Brewery, London SW1 was acquired by Watney & Co Ltd in 1890 and brewing ceased there.
- The Saffron Walden brewery of William Day & Co was acquired by Watney & Co Ltd in 1895.
- In 1907, Woodbridge & Co, Yorkshire Stingo Brewery, London W1, with approximately 125 houses were acquired and brewing ceased.
- J E Dawes & Co of Thames Ditton were acquired in January 1911 and their premises were converted into bottling stores in 1914.
- John Samuel Bligh, Holmesdale Brewery, Sevenoaks, was acquired in 1911 with 27 tied houses.
- In 1920, they acquired the Chelsea Brewery Co. Ltd with 80 pubs.
- Ashby's Cobham Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in 1922 with 56 houses.
- Isleworth Brewery Ltd, after voluntary liquidation in November 1923 was acquired in 1924 with 228 houses.
- They acquired Huggins & Co. Ltd, Lion Brewhouse, London W1 in September 1928 and the brewery was closed.
- London & Burton Brewery Co. Ltd of Stepney were acquired in 1929 and ceased to brew.
- In 1943, they acquired William Cooper & Co. Ltd of Southampton with c.125 houses and brewing ceased there in 1950.
- Crowley & Co of Alton were acquired in 1947 with 248 public houses and brewing ceased there in August 1970.
- They acquired Stockwell Brewery Co. Ltd, London SW9 in May 1951 and retained the Hammerton’s off-licences but sold off the pubs to Charringtons.
- Acquired Tamplin & Sons Ltd of Brighton in 1953 with 400 houses.
- In 1954, the Chichester brewery of Henty & Constable Ltd was acquired with 247 houses of which 120 were resold to Friary, Holroyd & Healy's Breweries Ltd, with part of the brewery.
- Venning & Son Ltd of Liskeard were acquired in January 1955.
The Pimlico brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
An assortment of images of the brewery