Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd
Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd, Albion Brewery, Whitechapel Road, London E1
The Albion Brewery was built in 1808. Became Blake & Mann in June 1819 and James Mann was in control in 1826. Crossman and Paulin became partners in 1846. Registered October 1901.
Even after the closure of Mann's brewery, the company became a trading division of the Watney-Mann group, and the company's 'George & Dragon' trade mark became a common feature on pub signs in Britain, even in areas many miles removed from the original trading area.
Takeover and closure trail:
- In 1919 they acquired the Stamford Hill Brewery, Michell, Goodman, Young & Co. Ltd.
- Brandon's Brewery Ltd of Putney were acquired in 1920 with 76 public houses. Ceased brewing 1949 but remained open as bottling store for some time.
- Best's Brewery Co. Ltd of Clapham, London SW4 were acquired in 1924 with 6 tied houses.
- The Hornchurch Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in 1925, and brewing ceased there in 1929.
- In 1929, they acquired Henry Luker & Co. Ltd, Middleton Brewery, Southend-on-Sea with 43 public houses for £285,000.
- Benjamin Bennett's Dunstable brewery was acquired in 1938 with 59 tied houses. Brewery demolished 1971.
Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd, Albion Brewery, Shobnall Road, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.
The Burton brewery was built 1875 by Mann, Crossman & Paulin and used by them until 1896. Sold to Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd in 1902.
The London brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
Various images of the brewery
An assortment of images of the Mile End Brewery taken during a BHS Urban Walk in 2009. Courtesy Steve Peck.