The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890
On a high gable facing Hatton Garden, a recessed Reid's 'Griffin' painted silver within a black cast iron grille surrounded by '1881'
Reid's Brewery Co. Ltd, Griffin Brewery, Liquorpond Street (now Clerkenwell Road), London EC1.
Founded in 1757 when Richard Meux and Mungo Murray acquired Jackson's Brewery, Mercer Street.
Griffin Brewery built in 1763. Andrew Reid became a partner in 1793. Registered 1888.
Merged with Watney & Co. Ltd. and Combe & Co. Ltd in July 1898 to form Watney, Combe, Reid & Co. Ltd.
Brewing ceased in 1899. Most of the brewery still stands.
Various images of the brewery:
Reid's Stout Delivery Vehicles:
Entry in the Trade Mark Registry
Registration No : 190,036
Description : Label design
Used Prior to 1870? : NO
Date of Application : 25/09/1895