Vaux Breweries Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vaux illus.jpg
A turn of the century newspaper advert
A turn of the century newspaper advert
Vaux15thumb.jpg
Vaux compliments.jpg
Vaux complimentsa.jpg
Vaux Sunderland 1952.jpg
Vaux 1980.jpg
Vaux advert 004.jpg

Vaux Breweries Ltd, Castle Street Brewery, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear.

Founded by Cuthbert Vaux 1837 at Matlock Street Brewery. Moved to Castle Street 1875. Registered 1896 as C.Vaux & Sons Ltd.

It became Associated Breweries Ltd in 1927. Name changed to Vaux Breweries Ltd in 1973. At that time they held 700 houses in England and 200 Thomas Usher & Son Ltd houses in Scotland.

After pressure from the City, they closed their remaining breweries in 1999. The site in Sunderland is to be redeveloped for mixed uses.


Takeover and closure history:



The Bottling Department in 1907


Views of the inside of the brewery taken in 1930


An assortment of views of the brewery taken over the last 10 years of operation.


Labels etc


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 290,298
Description : Signature
Date of Application : 09/02/1907
Used Prior to 1875? : NO