Ansells Brewery Ltd
Ansells Brewery Ltd, Aston Brewery, Park Road, Aston Cross, Birmingham, West Midlands
Joseph Ansell began as a home brewer at the Hope & Anchor pub in Fisher Street in 1838, before opening a brewery and maltings in Park Road in 1857. Sons William and Edward joined the business in 1870 and 1875. The brewery was extended in 1890, 1900 and 1906.
Registered 1889 as Joseph Ansell & Sons Ltd, re-registered as above June 1901.
- Rushton's Brewery Ltd of Aston was acquired in 1923 with about 100 public houses.
- They acquired Lucas & Co. Ltd of Leamington Spa in November 1928 with 124 houses and brewing ceased there in 1934.
- Holt Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in 1934 with 250 houses but was not closed until 1974.
- In 1936, they acquired Thomas Plant & Co. Ltd of Netherton with 63 houses and closed that brewery in 1947.
- Ditherington Flax Mill Maltings, Shrewsbury, were acquired in about 1948, but closed in 1987.
- They acquired Lloyd's (Newport) Ltd in 1951 with 120 houses and closed that brewery in 1961.
- Leicester Brewing & Malting Co. Ltd was acquired in 1952 with about 140 public houses and brewing ceased. Bottling continued to 1960.
- Merged with Ind Coope Ltd and Tetley Walker Ltd to form Allied Breweries Ltd. in 1961 with 2,400 houses.
After a series of strikes at the site, the Aston Brewery was closed in 1981 and production was moved to Burton-upon-Trent.
An assortment of images of the brewery