Ind Coope Ltd
Ind Coope Ltd, Star Brewery, Romford, Essex
Founded by George Cardon at the Star Inn, Romford in 1708. In 1799, the Star Inn and brewery were purchased by Edward Ind and J Grosvenor. C E Coope joined the firm in 1845.
In 1856, the company opened their brewery at Burton-upon-Trent: see Ind Coope (Burton).
Registered in November 1886 as Ind Coope & Co. Ltd.
In receivership January 1909 and was re-registered 1912 as Ind Coope & Co.(1912) Ltd. Name reverted to Ind Coope & Co. Ltd. 1923.
Merged with Allsopp & Sons Ltd. 1934 and became Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd.
Name changed as above 1959.
Later part of Carlsberg-Tetley.
The Romford brewery was closed in 1992. redeveloped as a shopping mall.
The brewery in the 1950s:
The rebuilding of the brewery in 1960:
The brewery in 1992. Photos Ian P Peaty:
The brewery in 1989:
The brewery in 1995:
The brewery in 2006. Courtesy Derek Taylor:
More images of the Romford brewery:
From a series of adverts for Double Diamond:
The entries in the Trade Mark Directory: