Leicester Brewing & Malting Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ordnance Survey extract from 1928. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/index.html)
Leicester B & M Festivale.jpg
Carver & Bates, 1870
Bates, Son & Bishell
Bates, Son & Bishell
Letterhead 1945
Old letterhead

Leicester Brewing & Malting Co Ltd, Eagle Brewery, 51 Upper Charnwood Street, Leicester, Leicestershire

Around 1867, Carver & Bates were listed at the Eagle Brewery, Northampton Square. This was originally the brewhouse owned by the Hannam family. In 1870, the Charnwood Street area was developed. Operated by Frederick Bates 1877. Registered June 1890 to acquire Bates, Son & Bishell and the malting business of Needham & Crick, Leicester.

The unoccupied brewery at 15 Northampton Street was for sale June 1893.

Acquired by Ansells Brewery Ltd in 1952 with about 140 public houses and brewing ceased. Bottling continued to 1960.

Most buildings survive, converted to various commercial uses.


Various images of the brewery:


The brewery in February 2019 (photos Steve Peck):


Miscellaneous: