Mitchells & Butlers Ltd
Mitchells & Butlers Ltd, Cape Hill Brewery, Cape Hill, Smethwick, West Midlands.
- In 1899, they acquired Alfred Homer Ltd's brewery of Aston with about 39 pubs.
- In 1913, they acquired Cheshire's Brewery Ltd, Windmill Brewery, Smethwick.
- They acquired George Jones (Bordesley) with about 10 houses in 1913.
- Holder's Brewery Ltd of Birmingham was acquired in 1919 with over 200 pubs, and was closed in 1923.
- The tied houses of John Jordan & Co, Oldbury were acquired in 1920.
- Highgate & Walsall Brewery Co. Ltd was acquired in August 1939 with about 30 tied houses. This brewery was not closed by M&B, and was later sold off to its management.
- On 1 June 1942, they acquired Joseph Henry Davies of Netherton with 11 houses.
- A H Clarke (Wellington)'s brewery; and Thompson's Brewery Ltd of Studley (with 5 pubs) were both acquired in 1945.
- They acquired the Darlaston brewery of James Pritchard & Son in 1946.
- In 1949, they acquired Thatcher's Brewery Ltd of Newport, Gwent with 20 tied houses.
- They acquired Darby's Brewery Ltd of Greets Green in 1951 with over 100 public houses and closed it in 1968.
- Atkinson's Brewery Ltd of Aston were acquired in 1959 with about 200 pubs, and the brewery was closed in 1962.
- In 1960, they acquired William Butler & Co. Ltd of Wolverhampton with about 830 tied houses. Brewing continued here until 1991.
- In 1965, they acquired Hunt, Edmunds & Co. Ltd of Banbury with 187 public houses. Brewing ceased there on 1 May 1967.
Views of the brewery:
Images of the brewery taken in 2002: