Hunt, Edmunds & Co. Ltd
Hunt, Edmunds & Co. Ltd, 26 Bridge Street, Banbury, Oxfordshire.
Founded 1807 when Thomas Hunt bought the Unicorn pub with its brewhouse and malting. Registered September 1896.
Acquired by Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd in 1965 with 187 public houses.
Brewing ceased 1st May 1967.
Hunt, Edmunds and Company Ltd, Bridge Street, Banbury by Keith Osborne
The Company known as Hunt, Edmunds and Company Ltd had its origins in the business of the Hunt family. The first mention of the Huints can be traced to 25 March, 1807, when Thomas Hunt was described as “late farmer of Cropready and now victualler of Banbury” purchased the Unicorn in the Market Place, Banbury. He then “out of natural love and affection for his son John Hunt of Upper Boddington, plumber and glazier” conveyed it to him for ten shillings. This John Hunt had a son named John who succeeded him a the Unicorn. Rusher's Directory of Banbury mentions John Hunt as being at the Unicorn from 1832 to 1841, as a maltster in the Market Place from 1835 to 1839, and as a maltster and brewer in Bridge Street in 1841.
From 1842 to 1847 the style became T & J Hunt both at the Unicorn and at Bridge Street as brewers and maltsters. In December 1847, Thomas Hunt purchased the Unicorn from John Hunt Junior and by 1848 the partnership had been disolved, the three businesses being carried on by Thomas Hunt. John Hunt it seems took as his share of the partnership a mortgage from Thomas of the Unicorn and of “the newly built brewhouse in Bridge Street South (built by John Hunt deceased) and malthouse in Parsons Meadow Lane”.
An assortment of images of the brewery