Ind Coope (Burton)

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Momorandum 1921
Price List and List of District Offices, April 1950
Ind Coope & Allsopp 1944
Ind Coope letter 1962
IC&A plaque at the Fox & Crown, Basford, Nottingham
The former Champion pub, Leicester
The Original Dog & Partridge, Nottingham
The front & back views of a tanker taken from the 1959 Annual Report of Ind Coope. The blurb that goes with states that it ‘.. shows the newly designed livery for Ind Coope transport ...
... one of the biggest of Ind Coope’s fleet of 35 road tankers, used for conveying beer from brewery to bottling plant. This tanker holds approximately 92 barrels of beer – that is over 52,000 bottles of Double Diamond...’. Courtesy Ray Anderson

Ind Coope Ltd, Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire

The Ind Coope brewery was founded in Romford, Essex: Ind Coope Ltd.

The company opened its Burton-on-Trent brewery in 1856.

Registered in November 1886 as Ind Coope & Co. Ltd. In receivership January 1909 and was re-registered 1912 as Ind Coope & Co.(1912) Ltd. Name reverted to Ind Coope & Co. Ltd. 1923.

Merged with Allsopp & Sons Ltd 1934 and became Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd. Name changed to Ind Coope Ltd in 1959. Merged with Tetley Walker Ltd and Ansells Brewery Ltd in 1961 to form Ind Coope Tetley Ansell Ltd.

Renamed Allied Breweries in 1963. Allied off-loaded a 50% stake in its breweries to Carlsberg in 1993 to form Carlsberg-Tetley Brewing Ltd, and the remainder in 1997.

The Burton Brewery was sold to Bass in 1998 and is still brewing under the Molson-Coors banner.


The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.


The Burton brewery in the 1950s:


Ind Coope Burton transport 1950s:


More images of the brewery:


The brewery in 1992. Photos: Jeff Sechiari: