Hammond's United Breweries Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fountain Bradford.jpg
Hammonds Bradford aa.jpg
Hammonds Bradford.jpg

Hammond's United Breweries Ltd, Fountain Brewery, 282 Manchester Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Founded 1840 by Joseph Pullan and purchased by James Hammond in 1860.

Registered November 1889 as Hammond's Bradford Brewery Co. Ltd. Name changed as above 30th December 1946 after taking over the Tadcaster Tower Brewery Co. Ltd and Bentley & Shaw Ltd of Huddersfield.

During their trading years they acquired the following companies:-

  • Seth Senior & Sons Ltd, Highfield Brewery, Lane Head, Penistone Road, Shepley, West Yorkshire in November 1946.

Ceased brewing at the Fountain Brewery in July 1955 but used the premises as offices.

Merged with Hope & Anchor Breweries Ltd. and John Jeffrey & Co. Ltd. In March 1960 this became Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd and in October 1960 the company became United Breweries Ltd.

In 1962, they merged with Charrington & Co. Ltd of Mile End London to form Charrington United Breweries Ltd, which in 1967 merged with Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd to become Bass Charrington Ltd.

The Fountain Brewery has been demolished.



Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 521,968
Description : Words "UNITY" for beer
Date of Application : 15/04/1931
Used Prior to 1875? : NO


Registration No : 521,969
Description : Words "OVERCOAT
Date of Application : 15/04/1931
Used Prior to 1875? : NO