John Aitchison & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Aitchison Edinburgh 1951.jpg
The Kerr Brewery remains

John Aitchison & Co. Ltd, Canongate Brewery, 21 Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, Lothian.

Founded at Peebles 1730 by William Kerr and was acquired by William Aitchison in 1810. Moved to Edinburgh 1830.

Registered April 1895.

Acquired by Hammond's United Breweries Ltd. in 1959 with 68 public houses just prior to the formation of Northern Breweries of Great Britain.

Brewing ceased in 1961 and was merged with John Jeffrey & Co. Ltd. to form Aitchison Jeffrey Ltd.

List of John Aitchison & Co. Ltd. pubs


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 40,167
Description : Figure in chariot
Date of Application : 7/5/1885
Used Prior to 1870? : NO


Registration No : 512,772
Description : Man with foaming pot of ale
Date of Application : 09/05/1930
Used Prior to 1870? : NO


Registration No : 514,184
Description : Whisky with words "AITCHISON”
Date of Application : 01/07/1930
Used Prior to 1870? : NO