Charrington & Co. Ltd
Charrington & Co. Ltd, Anchor Brewery, Mile End Road, Tower Hamlets, London E1
The partnership of Charrington and Moss was first recorded at Mile End in 1770. Registered as Charrington & Co. Ltd in July 1897.
The company acquired the Abbey Brewery, Burton-on-Trent and rebuilt it in 1872: see Charrington, Head & Co. Ltd. The Abbey Brewery was sold in 1926 with 86 tied houses.
In 1962 they merged with United Breweries Ltd (formerly Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd) to form Charrington United Breweries Ltd. This company merged with Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd 1967 to form Bass Charrington Ltd. The Anchor Brewery closed in January 1975 and the brewery buildings were demolished during 1976, but the offices survive.
There is a superb collection of archival photos of pubs in the Charrington archive that were previously owned by Hoare & Co on this website: https://www.historypin.org/en/hoare-co/
- List of Charrington & Co Ltd pubs
- Charrington & Co. Ltd: Takeover and Closure Trail
- Frederick Nicholas Charrington
- Charrington's High Speed Bottling Line
- Demolition of the Mile End Brewery
The London brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
The Burton brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
Views of the brewery etc: