Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd
Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd, Shobnall Road, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire.
Founded at the Horninglow Brewery by John Marston in 1834.
The Albion Brewery, Burton was built in 1875 by Mile End brewers Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd and used by them until 1896. Marstons moved to the Albion Brewery in 1898.
Registered in 1890 as John Marston & Son Ltd. and was re-registered June 1896.
Still brewing at Burton-upon-Trent.
Acquisition and closure trail:
- John Marston & Son acquired John Yeomans, Blue Posts Brewery, Burton in 1890 with 8 premises.
- Marston, Thompson & Son acquired the Anstey, Leicestershire brewery of Daniel Pettifor & Sons in 1900 with 20 public houses.
- Ealand's Brewery of Southwell, with 10 pubs, came in 1904.
- The 10 pubs of Walker's Leek Brewery were acquired in 1922.
- In 1922, the company acquired Zachary Smith & Co of Shardlow with over 80 houses, and closed the brewery. Pim & Co. Ltd of Stoke-on-Trent, a subsidiary of Smith's, came into Marstons' ownership in 1925.
- In 1923, they acquired Winchester Brewery Co. Ltd with 108 houses, and closed the brewery; but the site was used as a Marston's depot for many years afterwards.
- Pearce's Crystal Fountain Brewery Co of Market Drayton acquired in 1925.
- Newport (Salop) Brewery Co. Ltd: seven houses acquired in 1927.
- Alfred Bertwistle & Sons of Appleby, Cumbria were acquired in August 1928. Used as a depot until the 1970s.
- They acquired John Elworthy & Co. Ltd of Kettering in October 1931 with 20 houses and 13 off-licences. Brewing ceased here in 1940.
- In 1937, they acquired Lewis Clarkes Ltd of Worcester and closed that brewery.
- In 1958, they acquired the approximately 60 public houses of Taylor's Eagle Brewery Ltd, Gorton, Manchester; to whom they had supplied beers previously.
- They acquired W T Rothwell Ltd of Newton Heath in February 1961 and brewing ceased in 1968.
- Smith & Sons Ltd (Macclesfield) were acquired in 1962 with about 20 public houses and that brewery used as a depot until 1989.
- In 1984, they acquired Border Brewery Ltd of Wrexham with 170 houses, and closed down that brewery in October 1984.
The Burton brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published in 1890:
Posters and Labels
Various images of the brewery:
The brewery in October 1985:
A tour of the brewery in May 1990:
The Brewery in 1992:
The Brewery in 2002:
The Brewery in 2003:
Marston warehouse 2014 (courtesy Keith Busby):