Marston, Thompson & Evershed, Acquisition Trail
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd: Acquisition History
- See also: Wolverhampton & Dudley: Acquisition History which includes later acquisitions by "Marsons plc".
- John Marston & Son acquired John Yeomans, Blue Posts Brewery, Burton in 1890 with 8 premises.
- Marston, Thompson & Son acquired the Anstey, Leicestershire brewery of Daniel Pettifor & Sons in 1900 with 20 public houses.
- Ealand's Brewery of Southwell, with 10 pubs, came in 1904.
- The 10 pubs of Walker's Leek Brewery were acquired in 1922.
- In 1922, the company acquired Zachary Smith & Co of Shardlow with over 80 houses, and closed the brewery. Pim & Co. Ltd of Stoke-on-Trent, a subsidiary of Smith's, came into Marstons' ownership in 1925.
- In 1923, they acquired Winchester Brewery Co. Ltd with 108 houses, and closed the brewery; but the site was used as a Marston's depot for many years afterwards.
- Pearce's Crystal Fountain Brewery Co of Market Drayton acquired in 1925.
- Newport (Salop) Brewery Co. Ltd: seven houses acquired in 1927.
- Alfred Bertwistle & Sons of Appleby, Cumbria were acquired in August 1928. Used as a depot until the 1970s.
- They acquired John Elworthy & Co. Ltd of Kettering in October 1931 with 20 houses and 13 off-licences. Brewing ceased here in 1940.
- In 1937, they acquired Lewis Clarke's Ltd of Worcester and closed that brewery.
- In 1958, they acquired the approximately 60 public houses of Taylor's Eagle Brewery Ltd, Gorton, Manchester; to whom they had supplied beers previously.
- They acquired W T Rothwell Ltd of Newton Heath in February 1961 and brewing ceased in 1968.
- Smith & Sons Ltd (Macclesfield) were acquired in 1962 with about 20 public houses and that brewery used as a depot until 1989.
- In 1984, they acquired Border Brewery Ltd of Wrexham with 170 houses, and closed down that brewery in October 1984.