Wolverhampton & Dudley: Acquisition History
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries Ltd: Acquisition History
- In 1909, the company acquired North Worcestershire Breweries Ltd of Stourbridge with approximately 135 tied houses.
- In 1912, the company acquired Rolinson & Son Ltd of Netherton.
- In 1913, they acquired Kidderminster Brewery Co. Ltd with about 126 tied houses.
- In 1917, the company acquired City Brewery Co.(Lichfield) Ltd with about 200 tied houses, and used that brewery's maltings. See Lichfield Maltings.
- In 1943, they acquired Julia Hanson & Sons Ltd of Dudley with about 200 tied houses. Hansons continued brewing until about 1992.
- In 1951, they acquired John Seedhouse & Sons Ltd of Princes End, with about 10 pubs.
- In 1960, they acquired Herbert Newnam & Sons Ltd of Lye, Stourbridge, and closed the brewery.
- In 1992, they acquired the Hartlepool brewer Cameron & Co. Ltd. Subsequently, they sold off the brewery (which is still operating independently), but retained most of Cameron's tied estate.
- In 1999, the company acquired the Mansfield Brewery Co. Ltd with over 400 tied houses.
- In 1999, they also acquired Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd of Burton-upon-Trent (still brewing). By this time, they owned over 1,750 tied houses.
- In 2005, they acquired the brewery and pub estate of Jennings Brothers Ltd of Cockermouth (still brewing).
Following the renaming to Marstons plc from 2007:
- In 2007, they acquired the brewery and small tied estate of Ringwood Brewery, Ringwood, Hampshire (still brewing).
- In 2008, they acquired the brewery and small tied estate of Wychwood Brewery Ltd, Witney, Oxfordshire (still brewing).
- In 2017, they acquired the brewery of Charles Wells Ltd of Bedford (still brewing), although Wells retained its pub estate.