City of London Brewery Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 11:58, 28 August 2020 by Bhadmin (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
City of London Brewery Co. Ltd., Hour Glass Brewery, London EC4. Brewers’ Journal 15th November 1883
City of London drawing.jpg
City ad.jpg
City of London 01.jpg
City of London 02.jpg

City of London Brewery Co. Ltd, Hour Glass Brewery, 89 Upper Thames Street EC4, City of London, Greater London.

Founded before 1431.

Recorded under John and William Reynolds 1587 and was run by the Reynolds family until 1730 when it was acquired by Calvert & Co. Registered as above February 1860, re-registered as the New City of London Brewery Co. Ltd September 1891. Reverted to the original title March 1895. In 1919 took over Nalder & Collyers Brewery Co. Ltd, Croydon and Stansfeld & Co. Ltd, Swan Brewery, Fulham.

Brewing was transferred to the Swan Brewery in 1922 and the Hour Glass Brewery was converted into a warehouse. Brewing ceased at Fulham in 1936 when many public houses were sold to Hoare & Co. Ltd. The majority of the Nalder & Collyer public houses were sold to Ind Coope Ltd. in 1956.

The Hour Glass Brewery was destroyed by bombing in the Second World War. The final connection with brewing ended in 1968 with the sale of 20 public houses to Allied Breweries, but the company is still in existence as an investment trust.

List of City of London Brewery Co Ltd pubs

The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 4,321
Description  : Hourglass
Date of Application  : 28/3/1876
Used Prior to 1875?  : 16 years