City of London Brewery Co. Ltd
City of London Brewery Co. Ltd, Hour Glass Brewery, 89 Upper Thames Street EC4, City of London, Greater London.
Founded before 1431.
Recorded under John and William Reynolds 1587 and was run by the Reynolds family until 1730 when it was acquired by Calvert & Co. Registered as above February 1860, re-registered as the New City of London Brewery Co. Ltd September 1891. Reverted to the original title March 1895. In 1919 took over Nalder & Collyers Brewery Co. Ltd, Croydon and Stansfeld & Co. Ltd, Swan Brewery, Fulham.
Brewing was transferred to the Swan Brewery in 1922 and the Hour Glass Brewery was converted into a warehouse. Brewing ceased at Fulham in 1936 when many public houses were sold to Hoare & Co. Ltd. The majority of the Nalder & Collyer public houses were sold to Ind Coope Ltd. in 1956.
The Hour Glass Brewery was destroyed by bombing in the Second World War. The final connection with brewing ended in 1968 with the sale of 20 public houses to Allied Breweries, but the company is still in existence as an investment trust.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.