Bright & Sons Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Brights Coggeshall.jpg
Beard & Bright Coggeshall.jpg

William Bright & Sons Ltd, Stoneham Street, Coggeshall, Essex.

Founded by 1837.

The 7qtr plant and 30 houses bought 1st November 1899 for £49,240 by William Bright and registered as above.

Acquired by the New London Brewery Co. Ltd. 1921. 30 public houses were acquired by Ind Coope Ltd in 1925 from the liquidators.

In use as the Village Hall.

From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4

George and Isaac Beard were brewing in 1855, but by 1899, William Bright had formed a partnership which continued to 1921.

The title of Wm Bright and Sons Ltd. (maltster and brewers) was used from 1902 to 1917.

In 1925 the business was taken over by the New London Brewery Co. Ltd, based at Dewham Street, London, who went bankrupt in the same year and went into liquidation, the business being taken over by another London brewer, The Wenlock Brewery Co. Ltd.

At this same time 30 public houses were sold to Ind Coope Ltd., Romford.

Parts of the brewery are extant in use as a hall and the house and offices facing onto Stoneham Street are now in residential use.