Bagnall, Thomas, King’s Head, 52 Market Street, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire.
In 1848, Mrs Ann Knowles was running the King’s Head, whilst Thomas Bagnall seems to have been the owner of the Old George, Market Street and the Shoulder of Mutton, Kilwardby Street. He was also the agent for the Burton Brewery Company. In 1803, John Halford had sold the Old George (rebuilt 1799), when the address was shown as Kilwardby Street. In 1870, Bagnall was still the agent for the Burton company, that had a maltings on Tamworth Road, but was also a victualler in his own right at the King’s Head. The address in 1875 was shown as 52 Market Street.
In 1884, Thomas Bagnall was still shown as the agent for Burton Brewery Company Ltd, but they were also shown as brewers in the Market Place, and two years later he was described as their manager. However, this was probably connected with the maltings which they continued to operate until the mid 1920s. The address of the maltings in 1896 was Packington Road.
There may be a family connection with the Bagnall Brothers Brewery of Little Eaton, who were criticised in 1900 by Offiler's Brewery Ltd for the introduction of ale in one gallon jars, which they were “hawking around Leicestershire”.
The King’s Head was later supplied by Davenport's Brewery Ltd.