Difference between revisions of "John Lovibond & Sons Ltd"

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 10: Line 10:
 
<big>'''John Lovibond & Sons Ltd''', ''St Anne's Brewery, Salisbury, Wiltshire.''</big>
 
<big>'''John Lovibond & Sons Ltd''', ''St Anne's Brewery, Salisbury, Wiltshire.''</big>
  
Founded by John Locke Lovibond at Frome, Somerset, in 1834 and bought the Nag's Head Brewery, Esther Place, Bridge Street, Greenwich, in 1847. It is said from a Mr Peacock, possibly the James Peacock who was brewing at Blackheath in the 1860s. A new brewery was built at Greenwich High Street in 1865 on land purchased from the London & Greenwich Railway. The Bridge Street premises were retained mainly for malting.
+
During 1831-1834, John Locke Lovibond was brewing at or near Frome in Somerset, when living at Long Sutton. In 1847. J L Lovibond bought the Nag's Head Brewery, Esther Place, Bridge Street, Greenwich, it is said from a Mr Peacock, possibly the James Peacock who was brewing at Blackheath in the 1860s. A new brewery was built at Greenwich High Street in 1865 on land purchased from the London & Greenwich Railway. The Bridge Street premises were retained mainly for malting.
  
 
The '''[[John Lovibond & Sons Ltd (Salisbury)|Salisbury brewery]]''' was founded in 1869.  
 
The '''[[John Lovibond & Sons Ltd (Salisbury)|Salisbury brewery]]''' was founded in 1869.  
  
On 8 January 1876, they registered their trade mark as a bundle of wood. Registered as a limited company in July 1896.
+
On 8 January 1876, they registered their trade mark as a bundle of wood. Registered as a limited company in July 1896. Around 1901, they acquired [[Henry Lovibond & Son Ltd (Fulham)]] and the [[Hoxton Brewery Ltd]]. In May 1916, they acquired [[Ive Brothers]] of Henley on Thames.
 
+
Around 1901, they acquired [[Henry Lovibond & Son Ltd (Fulham)]] and the [[Hoxton Brewery Ltd]]. In May 1916, they acquired [[Ive Brothers]] of Henley on Thames.
+
  
 
At the end of World War II, the public houses were in need of refurbishment that had not been done since the 1930s. This led to a decision to cease brewing and concentrate on selling wine. The public houses were sold, most going to [[Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Ltd]].  
 
At the end of World War II, the public houses were in need of refurbishment that had not been done since the 1930s. This led to a decision to cease brewing and concentrate on selling wine. The public houses were sold, most going to [[Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Ltd]].  

Revision as of 10:28, 4 June 2020

Ordnance Survey extract from 1914. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/index.html)
The Greenwich Brewery frontage
Lovibond 2 BHS Archive.jpg
Letter, 1951
Lovibond.jpg
Former bottle shop, 28 Clapham Road, SW9

John Lovibond & Sons Ltd, Greenwich Brewery, 177 Greenwich High Road, Greenwich, Greater London.

John Lovibond & Sons Ltd, St Anne's Brewery, Salisbury, Wiltshire.

During 1831-1834, John Locke Lovibond was brewing at or near Frome in Somerset, when living at Long Sutton. In 1847. J L Lovibond bought the Nag's Head Brewery, Esther Place, Bridge Street, Greenwich, it is said from a Mr Peacock, possibly the James Peacock who was brewing at Blackheath in the 1860s. A new brewery was built at Greenwich High Street in 1865 on land purchased from the London & Greenwich Railway. The Bridge Street premises were retained mainly for malting.

The Salisbury brewery was founded in 1869.

On 8 January 1876, they registered their trade mark as a bundle of wood. Registered as a limited company in July 1896. Around 1901, they acquired Henry Lovibond & Son Ltd (Fulham) and the Hoxton Brewery Ltd. In May 1916, they acquired Ive Brothers of Henley on Thames.

At the end of World War II, the public houses were in need of refurbishment that had not been done since the 1930s. This led to a decision to cease brewing and concentrate on selling wine. The public houses were sold, most going to Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Ltd.

Last brew at Greenwich was in 1959. The company image was changed to that of wine merchants with retail shops, and the brewery was substantially redeveloped to provide wine cellars and warehouses, and wine bottling lines. Acquired by Wine Ways Supermarkets Ltd. in 1968, at which time there were 104 Lovibond's wine shops. Many of the Wine Ways shops later became 'Victoria Wine' off-licences.

An attempt to reopen the brewery by the Alan Greenwood Beer Agency (Brewing) Ltd in 1978 was not realised. The Greenwich buildings remain intact. Davy's Wine Merchants are now based at the site.


See:


The Brewery in 1985


Various images of the Greenwich Brewery


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 324

Description  : Bundle of Wood
Date of Application  : 1870
Used Prior to 1870?  : 10 years

Registration No  : 405,511
Description  : Words "GAGE HEUREUX"
Date of Application  : 25/06/1920
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 405,512
Description  : Words "GAGE DE PAIX"
Date of Application  : 25/06/1920
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 448,132
Description  : Sherry label
Date of Application  : 06/05/1924
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 458,544
Description  : Advert for home delivered beer
Date of Application  : 01/05/1925

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO