Higson's Brewery Ltd
Higson's Brewery Ltd, Mersey Brewery, Stanhope Street, Toxteth, Liverpool, Merseyside.
Founded by William Harvey at Dale Street in 1780 and moved to Cheapside 1854. Harvey was succeeded by Thomas Howard who died in 1865 leaving the Cheapside Brewery to his cashier, Daniel Higson. Moved to Upper Parliament Street 1912 before acquiring Robert Cain & Sons Ltd's former brewery in 1923 after Cains' merger with Walkers of Warrington. Registered 1888 as Daniel Higson Ltd. and was re-registered as above January 1937.
- They acquired Smith, Mumford & Co of Liverpool in 1915.
- Spragg & Co. Ltd of Wallasey were acquired in June 1919 with 5 tied houses.
- Joseph Jones & Co. Ltd, Knotty Ash Brewery was acquired in 1927 with 68 licensed houses. Brewing ceased there in 1928.
- In 1946, they acquired Mellor & Sons Ltd of Liverpool with 22 houses.
Acquired by Boddington's Breweries Ltd in June 1985 with 160 tied houses.
Brewing ceased here in 1990, and production of Higson's beers was moved to Manchester. Under the ownership of Whitbread, brewing of the Higson brands was switched to Castle Eden before production of the brands ceased in 1999. A new company was formed in 2005 to brew a recreation of the original beer.
The brewery was sold in 1990 to become the later Cains brewery. See Robert Cain Brewery.
The Higson's name has been revived twice:
- Cains - photographs taken by Roger Putman - 19 June 2003
- "Higsons Brewery Limited: 1780-1980" by C J Hanley
Images of the brewery.
The following images were taken on a BHS Visit in 1990
Higsons' offices at 127 Dale Street in 2008. Courtesy Steve Peck
From the Liverpool Echo