Halesworth Brewery

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
An Ordnance Survey extract from 1883. "Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland" http://maps.nls.uk/index.html
Halesworth sign a.jpg


Halesworth Brewery, 11 Market Place, Halesworth, Suffolk.

John Carbery Evans & Co; then George & Co; then Croft & Flick.

Founded 1770. 1868: Thompson George and Stanford. Flick married into the Stanford family which had been in partnership with Thompson George. Flick seems to have been a financier involved with several East Anglian breweries. Then Croft & Flick were brewers, maltsters, wine & spirit merchants and coal & lime merchants.

In 1886 they merged with Bridges, Cuthbert & Co Ltd's Falcon Brewery of Ipswich to form the Norfolk & Suffolk Brewery Co Ltd. That year they were building a new steam brewery at Eye. Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd had an option to purchase the 18-quarter brewery in 1888 with 61 freehold and 12 leasehold houses.

Brewing continued until 1925 when Ind Coope Ltd acquired the Colchester Brewing Co.