George Younger & Son Ltd
George Younger & Son Ltd, Meadow & Candleriggs Breweries, Bank Street, Alloa, Clackmannanshire
George Younger was brewing in Alloa by 1745. In 1764, he established the Meadow Brewery in Bank Street, Alloa. The Candleriggs Brewery, Alloa, owned by Robert Meiklejohn & Co, was leased in 1852 and bought outright in 1871. The Meadow Brewery ceased brewing in 1877 and was turned into offices for the business. The Candleriggs Brewery was badly damaged by fire in 1889 and rebuilt on a larger scale to cover nearly 2 acres, becoming the largest brewery in Scotland outside Edinburgh. George Younger & Son Ltd was registered as a limited liability company in February 1897.
Acquired by Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd in 1960 and brewing ceased at Candleriggs on 31st December 1963.
- 1898: Robert Fenwick & Co, Chester Brewery, Chester-le-Street. Closed 1934.
- 1898: R Fenwick & Co. Ltd, Sunderland Brewery. In 1952 was sold to J W Green Ltd with 101 houses.
- 1919: Bass Crest Brewery, Alloa. Brewing ceased here in 1941.
- 1959: Blair & Co. Ltd of Alloa with 20 tied houses and that brewery was closed.
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
An assortment of images of the brewery