Benskin's Watford Brewery Ltd, Cannon Brewery, 194 High Street, Watford, Hertfordshire
Founded by 1722 by John Pope at New Street.
Moved by his great-grandson, John Dyson to 194 High Street about 1820. Bought by Joseph Benskin 1867 with 42 public houses for £34,000. Registered July 1894.
Acquired by Ind Coope Ltd. 1957 and brewing ceased 1972 with 636 tied houses.
The brewery buildings were demolished 1978 but the offices were converted into the Watford Museum.
Several articles have been published about Benskins in the BHS Journal, as follows:
- Journal 051 (November 1987): Benskins of Watford - Heritage engine returns home (Martyn Cornell)
The following articles were published in Journal 110 (Winter 2002):
- The Popes and the Dysons: Five generations of Watford brewers (K Smith)
- Benskins of Watford (Martyn Cornell)
- Early memories of life at Benskins of Watford 1948 to 1953 (John Perry)
- Benskin's House (D A Tomsett)
- Lamented beer is best yet (Oliver Phillips)
- Benskin's Watford Brewery 1867-1967 (C J M Bradbury)
- The collectibles of Benskins of Watford (David Dines)
- Benskin's new Bottling Store (from the Brewing Trade Review, August 1958)
- Journal 133 (2009): "Road, Rail and Water: the Early History of Transport at Benskin's Brewery" by Jim Irving
- Journal 138 (2010): "A comparison of the brewery industries of the twin towns of Watford and Mainz" by M. Oppl
- Journal 151 (Winter 2012): The Development of the Cannon Brewery Estate, Watford until March 1898 (Allan Whitaker)
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
An assortment of images of the brewery