William Trivett

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

William Henry Trivett, Red Lion, 1 Park Street, Market Bosworth, Leicestershire.

William Trivett was running the Red Lion in 1835, followed by John Trivett in 1848 and it remained with the family for over a century to 1942. However, the earliest mention was in 1696 when a document describes the foundations of a malthouse which seems to have been constructed by Henry Cantrell, a carpenter.

In 1870 William Trivett was a butcher at the Red Lion, whilst his father, also called William, had been at the Dixie Arms from at least 1855. Then in 1884, a John Trivett was a butcher and victualler at the Lion, where in 1904 he was identified as the brewer. The outer facade of the pub was re-modelled around 1896.

He was followed as the brewer in 1910 by Henry Trivett. In 1913 William Henry Trivett was listed as a brewer in Park Street (F3318), when Mrs Rose Trivett was running the Old Red Lion Commercial Hotel, although the pub’s address was shown as Main Street. The Trivetts are thought to have stopped brewing in the late 1920s, although there was a directory entry for 1932 which starred the pub as brewing. The brewhouse, which was at the rear of the pub was then demolished and the bricks used for Long's slaughter house in Back Lane (Foss 1983). At some point the Red Lion became the whole of the Hoskins' tied estate!

The Trivetts may have also brewed at the Gate, Osbaston, which they appear to have run and which was described as a an old brew-pub in a local beer guide.