Whitbread & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Chiswell Street South side c.1900
Chiswell Street North side (aka Sun Court) c.1900
One of a large number of adverts issued by the company over its lifetime.

Whitbread & Co. Ltd, Chiswell Street, London EC1

Founded in 1742. Registered in July 1889.

Brewing ceased at Chiswell Street in 1976. Many buildings remain. The site has been converted to other uses, including a posh hotel. The Porter Tun Room is now a conference centre.

The company ceased brewing and now concentrates on its leisure business including hotels, restaurants and coffee shops.

List of Whitbread & Co. Ltd pubs

Takeover and closure trail:

  • H & V Nicholl Ltd, Anchor Brewery, London SE13 were acquired in 1891. Converted into a bottling and distribution centre.
  • In 1896, they acquired Gripper Brothers of the Bell Brewery, Tottenham, and used it as a regional depot until the mid 1980s.
  • In 1951, Amey's Brewery Ltd of Petersfield, was acquired with 20 public houses and 12 off-licences and brewing ceased.
  • Dale & Co Ltd of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire were acquired in 1954 and brewing ceased there in 1958.
  • In 1961, they acquired Flowers Breweries Ltd (Luton and Stratford-upon-Avon). The Stratford brewery closed in 1968 and the Luton brewery (ex J W Green) in 1969.
  • Tennant Brothers Ltd of Sheffield were acquired in 1961 with 700 tied houses to become Whitbread East Pennines. Whitbreads closed the brewery in 1993.
  • In October 1963, they acquired J. Nimmo & Sons Ltd of Castle Eden with 202 tied houses, although they later sold the brewery back as a management buy-out.
  • In 1964, they acquired Dutton's Blackburn Brewery Ltd with 784 tied houses. Name changed to Dutton’s Brewery Ltd in 1966 and was operated as Whitbread West Pennines Ltd until closed in 1978.
  • Lacon & Co. Ltd, Falcon Brewery, Great Yarmouth was acquired in December 1965 with 354 public houses. The brewery was closed in 1968.
  • In September 1967, they acquired Fremlins Ltd of Maidstone with 714 public houses. Brewery closed October 1972 but used as a depot until 2003.
  • Threlfall’s Chesters Ltd (Threlfall & Co Ltd) of Liverpool and Salford were acquired in 1967 with 800 licensed houses.
  • Archibald Campbell, Hope & King Ltd of Edinburgh were acquired in 1967. Brewing ceased there in 1970.
  • Lonsdale & Adshead Ltd's Macclesfield Brewery was acquired by Ind Coope Ltd in 1950. Brewery offered for sale in 1967 and was bought by Whitbreads. Depot later closed and demolished.
  • In January 1968, Cobb & Co. of Margate were acquired with 40 public houses. The brewery closed in October 1968 and was demolished in July 1971.
  • John Young & Co, Ladywell Brewery, Fisherrow, were acquired in November 1968 with 11 tied houses and brewing ceased on 31st January 1969.
  • They acquired Brickwoods Ltd, Portsmouth Brewery in 1971 with 675 public houses. Brewing ceased there in 1983 and the brewery was demolished in 1990.

The company constructed three major green-field breweries:

The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.

The brewery was in the fore front of steam technology and ordered their first engine in 1784. For more information:- [[1]]

An assortment of images of the brewery

An assortment of images of the brewery stables

An assortment of images of the brewery bottling stores

The Chiswell Street brewery in 2011. Courtesy Steve Peck

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 10,098

Description  : Deer's head
Date of Application  : 8/12/1876
Used Prior to 1870?  : 6 years

Registration No  : 447,808
Description  : Words "THE FOREST"
Date of Application  : 26/04/1924
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 448,998
Description  : Pioneer brands Family Ale Labels
Date of Application  : 04/06/1924
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 485,346
Description  : Advert
Date of Application  : 29/10/1927
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 501,126
Description  : Double brown label
Date of Application  : 20/03/1928
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 549,806
Description  : Words "WHITBREAD"
Date of Application  : 24/03/1934

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO