Usher's Wiltshire Brewery Ltd
Usher's Wiltshire Brewery Ltd, Wiltshire Brewery, Back Street, Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
Founded in 1824. Registered in April 1889.
- G. & T. Spencer's Brewery Ltd of Bradford-on-Avon were acquired in 1913 with 58 public houses and closed.
- In 1918, they acquired J. Wadley & Co, Sun Brewery, Highworth, Wiltshire with 17 tied houses.
- They acquired John Folliott & Sons of Salisbury with 23 houses in 1919.
- Wilkins Brothers & Hudson Ltd of Bradford-on-Avon were acquired in 1920 with 50 pubs.
- Bartlett & Co. Ltd of Warminster, were acquired in 1920 with 44 houses and was closed.
- In 1922, they acquired J. H. & H. Blake Ltd of Trowbridge with 49 public houses.
- Herbert John Finn & Co of Newbury were acquired in 1923 with 21 tied houses.
- In 1924, they acquired William Robert Harding's King's Arms Brewery, Bradford-on-Avon, with 12 pubs.
- They acquired Wallingford Brewery Ltd in 1928 with 77 public houses.
- In 1955, they acquired Arnold & Hancock Ltd, Taunton and Wiveliscombe, with 262 pubs. They closed the Taunton brewery in 1955 and the Wiveliscombe brewery in 1959.
Merged with Watney Mann Ltd with c.900 houses in May 1960 and was renamed Usher's Brewery Ltd. 1964.
In 1992, the company went independent following a management buy-out.
- In 1998, they acquired Burts (Sandown Brewery) and closed it.
The brewery closed 2000. Some buildings remain.
The brewery in 1985
The brewery in 1990 (Photos David Cox)
The brewery in 2000 (Photos David Cox)
The brewery in 2005 (Photos Jeff Sechiari)
Various images of the brewery