Stretton's Derby Brewery Ltd
Stretton's Derby Brewery Ltd, Manchester Brewery, Ashbourne Road, Derby, Derbyshire
Founded before 1868 when acquired by Stretton Brothers. The company's offices were at Wardwick following the acquisition of Alton & Co. Ltd's brewery.
Strettons acquired the following breweries:
- Derby Brewery Co. Ltd, Navigation Brewery, was acquired in about 1889 with about 57 pubs. Closed by 1901, then became Stretton's bottling store.
- Clarkson & Wood, Raikes Tower Brewery, Birstall, Yorkshire. Acquired with 12 houses in 1896. Closed around 1935.
- Midland Brewery Co. Ltd, Loughborough, acquired 1902 with 22 tied houses and 11 off-licences, but brewing continued until 1932.
- Alton & Co. Ltd, Wardwick Brewery was acquired in January 1903 with 154 tied houses. The brewery was run as a separate concern until its closure in 1922.
- Sharpe's Sileby Brewery Ltd. Acquired in September 1920 with 15 tied houses and 20 off-licences. Brewing ceased in 1922 but malting continued until 1972.
Acquired by Allsopp & Sons Ltd in 1927 with 143 public houses. The brewery was closed in 1929 and was sold to Burrows, Sturgess & Severn, mineral water manufacturers. Parts of the maltings survive in Manchester Street; but most of the maltings buildings have been redeveloped as a new block of flats.
An assortment of views of the brewery.