Shropshire Brewery, Wellington
Shropshire Brewery, Wellington, Shropshire.
Richard Taylor opened The Shropshire Brewery in 1851, trading as Richard Taylor and Sons. Their business ran for more than 20 years until Taylor's death, possibly in early 1877. The brewery was acquired by Robert Anslow, an agent for The Queen (Fire & Life) Assurance Company who described himself as a brewer, but his business soon ran into financial difficulties.
In July 1878 John Wackrill joined the company as a partner. Following John Wackrill's death, the brewery was acquired by Mr H L Potter; later joined by Cockburn.
Offered for auction March 1912 but was withdrawn at £20,000. 24 tied houses sold to W.Butler & Co. Ltd of Wolverhampton in the same year.
Brewery demolished for housing development in 1969.
John Wackrill's house 'Sunnycroft' at 200 Holyhead Road, Wellington is owned by the National Trust and is open to the public. See: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sunnycroft.