Royal Exchange (Bloxwich)
Royal Exchange, 24 Stafford Road, Bloxwich, Walsall, West Midlands WS3 3NL
A pub with a small former brewery at the rear.
Sarah Walker (widow) was shown as licensee in 1901, but no mention of a brewery. James Birch bought the pub in 1905, and was shown as a brewer in the 1911 Census. But the premises were advertised for sale in September 1912, including a "modern and convenient" brewery (14-bushel capacity), and a recently erected malt room. It appears that the pub was acquired by Bloxwich Brewery Co. Ltd; then William Butler & Co. Ltd.
In August 1915, there was an "Unreserved Sale of Valuable Brewing Plant; by direction of the Bloxwich Brewery Co, Ltd." The sale comprised: "Two Excellent Copper Refrigerators complete with brass bound Trough, costly Fermenting and Cooling Vats, Hop Sieves, Galvanised Ice Box, Copper Attemporator, Massive Boiler taps with Copper Pipes and Masher, Fine Circular Mash Tun (false bottom), Malt Shute, Copper ‘Devil,’ Copper, Sparge Wort Spout, Benches, two Air-Guns, Chains, Ropes and Pulleys, Corn Bins, Seating, China Spirit Barrel, Double Door Cupboard, Strong Iron safe, Clothes Chest, Pier Glass, and numerous other effects of interest to the Licensed Trade".
(Information from www.longpull.co.uk)
Both the pub and the brewhouse are listed. The brewery listing is as follows:
Grade II. List Entry Number 1077165. WALSALL MB STAFFORD ROAD SJ 90 SE Bloxwich 3/91 Former brewhouse adjoining to east of Royal Exchange Public House GV II Brewhouse, now used for storage. Mid- to late C19. Brick with slate roof. Two storeys, four bays. Ground floor windows have segmental heads. Windows partly boarded, but where exposed the upper part is glazed and the lower part is louvred. The left-hand bay contains a doorway covered by a later porch. the right-hand bay has a doorway with segmental head. In the centre of the ridge is a timber louvre. Chimney at right, on rear wall. Included as a surviving example of a small public-house brewery.