Peter Walker & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 18:46, 8 March 2020 by SteveP (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Trustees of the late Peter Walker, Clarence Street Brewery, Burton upon Trent. Brewers’ Journal 15th November 1882
Walker Peter Burton on Trent.jpg

Peter Walker & Co Ltd, Clarence Street Brewery, Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire

Peter Walker junior purchased the Willow Brewery Wrexham, Clwyd in 1860. The Clarence Street Brewery opened in Burton in 1883, the year after his death. Run by his executors until 1890 and then the trustees until 1906.

Registered as above 1908.

Acquired by Atkinson's Brewery Ltd in 1925 with about 100 tied houses. Brewing ceased on take-over and premises sold to maltsters Yeomans, Cherry and Curtis in 1929. The Brewery was demolished in the 1970s but the Goat Maltings survive.

An Ordnance Survey extract from 1900. The brewery to the north is the Trent Brewery Co. Ltd. "Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland"

BurtonClarenceBrewery OS1900.jpg

The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.

Images of the Willow Brewery Wrexham

Peter Walker's 'Goat' trade mark at the Rainbow pub in Birmingham

Images of the Goat Maltings, Burton

Images of the Clarence Street, Burton, site

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 3,908
Description : Goat, Mountain Welsh Moto
Date of Application : 16/3/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : 8 years

Registration No : 20,322
Description : Two shields & two flags
Date of Application : 11/3/1879
Used Prior to 1870? : NO

Registration No : 166,776
Description : Words "Walker's Warrington Ales"
Date of Application : 1/9/1892
Used Prior to 1870? : Since 1852

Registration No : 166,781
Description : Label design with goddess
Date of Application : 1/9/1892
Used Prior to 1870? : Since 1867

Registration No : 444,892
Description : Whisky label
Date of Application : 30/01/1924
Used Prior to 1870? : NO