Percy William Barradale, Syston Brewery, Queen Victoria, High Street, Syston, Leicestershire.
In 1884 William Charles Johnson was the victualler at the pub and identified as brewing in 1892. On 3rd June 1893, Barradale took the Queen Victoria in the High Street. The pub, together with the Malthouse on the Green, was owned by the Needham family, who were corn merchants. He was at the Queen Victoria pub until 4th June 1898, but at some point seems to have traded as the Syston Brewery, suggesting that he may have been operating on a wholesale basis (F4999). Certainly, in 1894 Johnson was again listed as running the pub and the Victoria seems to have been owned by HW Needham of LB&M around 1897.
In 1898, Arthur Alexander Butson was listed as living at the Brewery, Bath Street. However, he had previously been a hairdresser and this may simply have been the name of his house.
On 15th October 1899, Barradale moved to the Hope and Anchor on Wanlip Road. According to an article in the Leicester Mercury, based on a letter from his grandson, he employed a Billy Baum to help with the brewing. He was at the Anchor until 1st June 1901, when he moved to the Fox and Hounds, where he stayed until 1909, but there is no record of his brewing at the latter pub, which was supplied by All Saints Brewery in 1907.
In 1922 LB&M sold the Queen Victoria for £5,800 to Everards, who still own it, with what looks like the remains of the brewhouse at the rear. The Malthouse is still standing next to the Conservative club.