Mellor & Sons Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 12:18, 15 April 2020 by Bhadmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

James Mellor & Sons Ltd, 14/24 Hunter Street (later 142/6 Boundary Street), Liverpool City Centre, Merseyside.

In 1804-07 Henry Orme recorded at 46-47 Hunter Street. In 1823 James Mellor & Co.

Rebuilt in 1882 to designs of Gregory & Haynes of Salford, Boundary Lane being the malting.

In 1905 Lion & Anchor Trade Mark registered and in 1914 became James Mellor & Sons Ltd.

Ceased brewing by 1946 when arrangements were made with Walker Cain Ltd.

Acquired by Higson's Brewery Ltd. in 1972 with 22 houses.


Two examples of the Mellor Trade Mark.

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 2,838

Description  : Lion & Anchor
Date of Application  : 28/2/1876
Used Prior to 1870?  : 15 years


Registration No  : 2,839
Description  : Interlocked Triangles
Date of Application  : 28/2/1876
Used Prior to 1870?  : 12 years


Registration No  : 275,661
Description  : Leopard and anchor on shield
Date of Application  : 13/09/1905

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO