Imperial Lager Brewery Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Tottenham lager (2).jpg
Tottenham lager (1).jpg
Austra-bavarian-lager-label.jpg

Imperial Lager Brewery Ltd, Portland Road, Tottenham London N15.

Operating in 1882 as the Austro-Bavarian Lager Beer Brewery & Crystal Ice Factory.

Registered 5th May 1886 as the Tottenham Lager Beer & Ice Factory Ltd to acquire the business of Leopold Seckendorff.

Voluntary liquidation 6th March 1895 and a new company was registered as above in February 1895. Brewing ceased 1903 and the name was changed to Imperial Cold Stores Ltd.

See: "A visit to the first lager beer brewery in London"


From the Brewery history society Newlsetter No 69

Concerning 27, 29, 31, 33 Portland Road (now Portland Rise). Begins with assignment by WH Chapman to Robert Day. Property passes through several hands before being assigned by the Imperial Lager Brewery to CH Cowles. 1879-1897

The site was originally Grove House, used as a school until 1881. In March 1881 Austro Bavarian Lager was formed, alongside an ice factory, and brewing in 1882. Advertising February 1883 bottle and cask. Registered 5th May 1886 as the Tottenham Lager Beer and Ice Factory Ltd, to acquire the business of Leopold Seckendorf. In 1890 managed by Otto Vollman who lived at 317 High Road. Range of lagers: Angel, Mermaid, Rainbow and Snail. In 1888 Charles N Jackson who had been connected with the firm for many years became the representative for the St Pauli Breweries Co. In June 1891 the Christiana Brewery Co closed their London stores and agency at 31 Crutched Friars, having transferred the goodwill and machinery here. In July 1892 Adolf Frolisch, born Aschaffenburgh and only 21 committed suicide. His fellow brewer was Jacob Sasse.

A petition for the winding up of the Tottenham Lager Beer Brewery and Ice Factory Limited was, on the 13th day of July, 1894, presented by Hermann Jacob Wallraf, of 14 Harwood Road, Walham Green, and 7 Angel Court, Throgmorton Street, Gent, and Sarah Le Vino, of 42 Myliustrasse, Frankfort-On-Main, Widow, creditors of the said Company.


An assortment of views of the brewery


The many entries in the Trade Mark Directory

Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No  : 31,116

Description  : Label design
Date of Application  : 3/1/1883
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 41,683
Description  : Flag with letters ABLB
Date of Application  : 20/12/1884
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 64,630
Description  : Mermaid & fish
Date of Application  : 23/5/1887
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 78,037
Description  : A foot
Date of Application  : 6/7/1888
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 80,132/3
Description  : A hammer/Clock face showing 1 o'clock
Date of Application  : 8/9/1888
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 83,862/6/7/9
Description  : Snail/Angel/Britannia/Foot-Dice
Date of Application  : 17/12/1888
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 98,531
Description  : Railway train
Date of Application  : 18/6/1890
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 156,044
Description  : Man and barrel
Date of Application  : 29/4/1891
Used Prior to 1870?  : NO

Registration No  : 220,504
Description  : Flag signal and word “Imperial”
Date of Application  : 07/02/1899

Used Prior to 1870?  : NO