Hall & Woodhouse Ltd
Hall & Woodhouse Ltd , Badger Brewery, Blandford St Mary, Dorset.
Still independent, trading as the Badger Brewery.
Charles Hall began brewing at Ansty, Dorset in 1777. George Edward Illingworth Woodhouse became a partner in the business, which became known as Hall and Woodhouse, and in 1875, George Woodhouse passed the business on to his two sons, George Edward Woodhouse and Alfred Charles Woodhouse.
In 1882, they acquired Neame & Trew (late John Hector) of Blandford St Mary with 12 houses. Operated both sites until the new brewery at Blandford was built in 1900. In August 1900, there was a major fire at the Ansty brewery, shortly before completion of the new brewery at Blandford. Following this, the Ansty Brewery was closed, although the site was used as a distribution centre. The malt houses remained in use until about 1940.
- Registered on 8th June 1898 to acquire Hall & Woodhouse Ltd of Ansty and Blandford and Godwin Brothers, Durweston, with a total of 105 houses.
- In 1937, they acquired Charles E. Ellis' Town Brewery of Wimborne with 18 public houses and closed the brewery.
- They acquired Matthews & Co's Wyke Brewery, Gillingham, Dorset in 1963 with 61 tied houses and closed that brewery.
- King & Barnes Ltd Horsham Brewery was acquired with 55 houses and the brewery was closed in August 2000.
A new brewery was built at Blandford 300 metres across from the 1900 one. The new brewery officially opened in June 2012. The brewing equipment within the brewhouse was fabricated and built in England by Musk Engineering.
Read Frank Pike's Histories of Hall & Woodhouse:
- "Hall & Woodhouse - The War Years Part One"
- "Hall & Woodhouse - The War Years Part Two"
- "Hall & Woodhouse - The War Years Part Three"
- "Fifty Years On: Hall & Woodhouse Ltd, 1945-1995 Part I"
- "Fifty Years On: Hall & Woodhouse Ltd, 1945-1995 Part II"
The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.
The Ansty brewery
The 1900 brewery
A BHS visit to Blandford in May 2007
Labels and beer mats