Green & Hacker

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ordnance Survey 1884

Green & Hacker, Whissendine Brewery, The Nook, Whissendine, Rutland.

Advertised for auction with 18 houses 1891.

The plant was dismantled and the partnership dissolved February 1892/93.

Converted into a dwelling called Red House.

List of Green & Hacker, Whissendine Brewery, pubs

Images of the brewery

Mike Brown writes:-

Although described as early nineteenth century, the first record of the brewery was in the 1870s, when it was trading as the Whissendine Brewery Company, selling “Cottesmore Hunt Ales”. It had been founded by a John Jones Fast, who was a builder here and at Melton Mowbray. By 1876 it was being run by Adcock and Fast, also at Cheapside and the Railway Stores, Melton Mowbray. The following year Thomas Pickard Adcock, brewer for the Whissendine Brewery Company, was also shown as a wine and spirit and porter merchant at King Street, Melton Mowbray. The manager at Whissendine was a Herbert Tompson.

It seems to have been owned by William Henry Green in 1877. In 1880 it seems to have become Green and Hacker, and they were advertising their Cottesmore Hunt Ale, with stores at Nottingham Street. In 1881, whilst still trading as Green & Hacker, the partners at Melton were shown as Green and Johnson. Between 1884 and 1892, Green & Hacker’s office was at 30 Nottingham Street (shown as F3361), with Henry Wall as the local agent.

Then in 1891 it was trading as Green & Hacker, shown at Nottingham Street and the Railway Stores in Melton (F5564). There was also a shop and agency in Burton Street, Melton Mowbray. In July of that year, the properties were for sale and LB&M considered buying at the following prices:-

  • Railway Inn, Melton £1,500
  • Bell, Asfordby £800
  • Craven Arms, Leicester £1,400
  • Rutland Arms, Leicester £ 250 for 11 year lease

In February 1892, it was announced that the partnership had been dissolved. However, Green & Hacker were still shown as operating an off-licence at Burton Street, Melton. By 1893, the brewery had definitely closed (Goodwin 1993). The top was removed and the building converted to the Red House which is still standing (SK830142). However, although Green & Hacker was still listed as trading in 1895, this may simply be another example of directories being out-of-date.