Jump to navigation Jump to search
George Bass, The Queen’s Head, Upper Bond Street, Hinckley, Leicestershire.
The Bass family involvement in brewing goes back to 1812, when a house and maltings were for sale near the centre of Castle Street, with Thomas Bass, a vet, one of the tenants. In 1835 Thomas Bass was a maltster and vet at the New Buildings (see Buckler entry).
By 1875 George Bass was at the Queen’s and was listed as brewing in 1877. The family was also involved with running the Bull’s Head and the Globe.
George was still at the pub in 1884, but by 1913 he may possibly have moved to High Street, Barwell. At some point the Queen’s was rebuilt, but is still trading as an Mitchells & Butlers Ltd house.