Francis Starkey

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Francis Starkey, The Cock Public House, High Street, Ongar, Essex.

The Cock alehouse was sold on 10th January, 1766 by R H A Bennettt to John Lenham, surgeon of Ongar, the premises included a brew house.

The brew house was rebuilt in 1816 during the ownership of Robert Thomas and in his will dated 19th October, 1846, he bequeathed all his estate to John Pitcairn, brewer of Maldon and Charles Wade of Camberwell.

The last documentary evidence of a brew house was on 22nd August, 1865, when the "brewery" was cancelled on a lease document from Francis Starkey to William Horton. William Horton died on 20th September, 1868 and his wife, Hannah Horton continued retailing until 6th April, 1872 when she sold the lease. Francis Starkey finally sold the freehold to Walter Hall Gray for £600 in March, 1897, brewer of Maldon, and George Herbert Gray and Percy Harrison Gray, brewers, both of Chelmsford, see:- Gray & Sons Ltd.

From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4