Foley & Co.(Sligo) Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Foley & Co.(Sligo) Ltd, Lough Gill Brewery, Garravogue Quay, Sligo, Ireland.

Founded 1842 as Andersons.

Registered 1903.

Ceased brewing in the 1920s but bottling continued until 1972.

Site now community workshops.

From Brewery History Number 91

Charles Anderson established this brewery on the Garavogue river bank in 1842 where he built and developed a very successful trade in the brewing of ale and table beer.

In 1905 it passed into the hands of Alderman Edward Foley who decided also to brew a local porter to compete against the product distributed from Dublin.

By the late 1920s the brewery was forced to close its brewing activities and concentrate its energies on wholesale bottling and distribution until 1972.

The properties now form the Community Workshops for the area.