Cook Street Brewery - Listed Building
- Back to Threlfall (Salford)
Details of the Listing of the Salford site The building is listed, grade 2, and the following is the official description, dating from 1988:-
Brewery. Dated 1896. By WA Deighton. For Threlfall's Brewery Company Ltd. Pressed red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. T-shaped plan with tower at junction adjoined by copper-room/offices, maturing house and boiler house; apart from the maturing house, in wing to north-east, the buildings line Cook Street.
EXTERIOR: Copper room/offices to SE of tower: 2 storeys, 5:3 bays. Segmentally-arched windows, arched entrances to bays 2 and 4; pilasters divide round-arched first-floor windows each having brick and stone voussoirs under hoodmould broken by keystone; string course and band below slotted brick parapet with dies above each pier. Bays 6-8 form the office block and have large 2-light windows beneath first floor openings and parapet as rest; right end bay projects to form entrance (doorhead altered) under 3-storey tower having corner piers and cornice on corbel table. Transverse stacks between bays 6 and 7 are linked by brick arcade.
Brewery tower: 5 storeys, 5 x 4 bays divided by pilasters which rise to lunettes below top storey; other floors have windows of differing forms; frieze with company name and 'Cook Street Brewery' in white brick beneath louvred top-floor openings; corbel table and slotted parapet. Hipped roof with lunettes in dormers beneath pavilion roof raised on louvred arcading; further dormers and decorative finials. Against NW side of tower is a wooden hoist-shaft. Adjoining eastern corner of tower is a square chimney with arcaded panels and short second stage between cornices; third stage may be of later date. Boiler house at NW end of Cook Street; one storey, 3-1-3-3-1 bays; bays 1-3 have square-headed openings between corniced piers and twinned lunettes set below eaves cornice. Bay 4 forms link to similar building retaining decorative round arches to 2 windows on ground floor. Bays 8-10 have altered opening under 3 round arches; lower parapet to hipped roof with louvred lantern. The final bay is a waggon archway forming link to base of tower. Maturing house in wing to NE of tower: 3 storeys, 3-5 bays with bays 1-3 rising an extra storey under gable and having C20 lift hoist. Segmentally-arched windows to ground and first floor; round-arched windows to second floor (bay 6 blind) linked by impost string course and with hoodmoulds and keystones; cornice beneath frieze with date 'AD 1896' and company name in white brick; gable on left springs from slotted brick panel.
INTERIOR: little altered layout with some original fittings of note. Iron and brass balustrading to galleries in the maturing house and copper room; decorative spiral staircases in the maturing house (altered) and to upper floors of the tower. Copper room has basket-arched iron roof trusses. An impressive example of its type and a notable local landmark.