Cobbold & Co. Ltd
Cobbold & Co. Ltd, Cliff Brewery, Cliff Road, Ipswich, Suffolk.
Founded at Harwich 1723 by Thomas Cobbold and moved to Ipswich 1746. Registered March 1924. 236 tied houses.
Merged with Tollemache Breweries Ltd. 1957 to form Tollemache & Cobbold Breweries Ltd. (aka Tolly Cobbold) owning 370 tied houses.
- Article: "The Cliff Brewery, Ipswich" (Published 14 August 1875)
From ESSEX BREWERS - The Malting and Hop Industries of the County by Ian P Peaty 1992 now out of print ISBN 978 1 873966 02 4
Founded in 1723 Thomas Cobbold built his brewery adjoining the churchyard behind the Cups Hotel, parts of which are still visible being occupied by the Vicarage today.
Thomas Cobbold was in his 40's trading as a maltster in Suffolk, also farming in that County. He set up his brewery and by 1817 was in partnership with a Mr Cox. As the water used in the brewery was found to be brackish, arrangements had to be made to ship water down the Stour estuary from the Cobbold family estate at Hollywells, this practice being in operation in the firms own ship up until at least 1746. Thomas Cobbold had a son named after him who was described as an Ipswich brewer, his brewery being situated near the Landguard Fort opposite the town of Harwich. The Kings Quay Street brewery was transferred to the Cliff Brewery, Ipswich, although Thomas Cobbold was still listed in 1823 at Harwich. The brewery was up for sale in 1840 and again in 1873.
In 1855 a Mr J.Haylett was listed as a brewer at Kings Quay Street and may well have been one of the purchasers.
Thomas Cobbold was mayor of Harwich in 1828, 1832 and again in 1843. The vicarage which was part of the brewery was purchased in 1836 having previously been a workhouse.
The Cobbold family were also benefactors to the town. One of the small coppers from the Harwich brewery is still in use at the Cliff Brewery, Ipswich.
An assortment of views of the Ipswich brewery
The following images were taken on a BHS Visit in 1989