Brakspear & Sons Ltd
W H Brakspear & Sons Ltd, New Street, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire.
Founded 1756 by Richard Hayward at the Cross Keys PH, 65 Bell Street and was joined by Robert Brakspear in about 1779. Robert Brakspear became the sole owner in 1803. Merged with Appleton & Shaw, New Street Brewery, in 1812. All brewing was then concentrated at New Street. Registered January 1896.
Ceased brewing 2002, but the company continues as a PubCo. Some of the original brewing equipment is now in use at the Wychwood Brewery Ltd, Witney. The New Street premises are still standing, converted to flats and a hotel.
In 2013, Brakspears began brewing again in Henley at the Bell Street Brewery.
Images of the brewery:
The brewery in 1996:
The brewery in 2002 (just before closure):