Worthington & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Messrs. Worthington & Co. Ltd., Burton upon Trent. New Maltings. Brewers’ Journal 15th October 1899
Worthington (2).jpg
Blue plaque at the Unicorn Inn, Orton-on-the-Hill, unveiled in August 2017
William Worthington's grave at St Modwen's churchyard, Burton (died 9 March 1800)
The Worthington ‘dagger’ on the former brewery offices at 146 High Street
A Civic Society blue plaque on the former brewery offices at 146 High Street
White Hart, Duffield 2010

Worthington & Co Ltd, 137 High Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire

William Worthington was born, the son of a yeoman farmer, in Orton-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire, in 1723. He arrived in Burton as a cooper in 1744, and founded his brewery in about 1761.

In 1819 acquired the site from Henry Evans and it became their main premises. In 1862 Worthington & Robinson. Registered January 1889. Merged with Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd. 1927 but continued to operate as a separate concern until brewing ceased in 1967.

The brewery and its maltings were demolished in 1968, the former to provide a car park, later a shopping precinct. The latter, by the middle of the 1970s, became a new public library.


The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.


The Worthington Bottle Car:


Boundary plates at the former Nunneley & Co brewery, which they acquired in 1915:


Labels, mats, etc:


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 3,664
Description : Sword on shield
Date of Application : 8/3/1876
Used Prior to 1875? : In use since 1863


Registration No : 3,667
Description : Sword on shield
Date of Application : 8/3/1876
Used Prior to 1875? : In use since 1863