Worthington & Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Messrs. Worthington & Co. Ltd., Burton upon Trent. New Maltings. Brewers’ Journal 15th October 1899
Worthington (2).jpg
Blue plaque at the Unicorn Inn, Orton-on-the-Hill, unveiled in August 2017. Photo: Steve Peck
The Worthington ‘dagger’ on the former brewery offices at 146 High Street. Photo: Steve Peck 2009.
A Civic Society blue plaque on the former brewery offices at 146 High Street. Photo: Steve Peck 2009.
White Hart, Duffield 2010

Worthington & Co Ltd, 137 High Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire

William Worthington was born, the son of a yeoman farmer, in Orton-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire, in 1723. He arrived in Burton as a cooper in 1744, and founded his brewery in about 1761.

In 1819 acquired the site from Henry Evans and it became their main premises. In 1862 Worthington & Robinson.

Registered January 1889. Merged with Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Ltd. 1927 but continued to operate as a separate concern until brewing ceased in 1967.

The Wenlock Brewery Co. Ltd, London N1 was acquired in 1953 and was closed in 1962.

The brewery and its maltings were demolished in 1968, the former to provide a car park, later a shopping precinct.

The latter, by the middle of the 1970s, became a new public library.


The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.


The Worthington Bottle Car:


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 3,664
Description : Sword on shield
Date of Application : 8/3/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : In use since 1863


Registration No : 3,667
Description : Sword on shield
Date of Application : 8/3/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : In use since 1863