Winchester Brewery Co. Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Revision as of 15:37, 21 May 2024 by SteveP (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ordnance Survey extract from 1939. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland (
An old Winchester Brewery pub: Image from Alan Roman
Winchester Brewery fascia: The Englishman pub, Southampton

Winchester Brewery Co. Ltd, Hyde Brewery, Hyde Street, Winchester, Hampshire.

Founded by 1812. Originally, James Simonds from 1847 to 1857. From 1863 under the ownership of Richard Moss trading as Simonds & Co. Moss died in 1903. As above registered in November 1893.

Acquired by Marston, Thompson & Evershed Ltd in 1923 with 108 public houses. Brewing ceased 1924 but bottling continued until 1969. Used as a regional depot until the 1980s.

The site has since been redeveloped for housing ('Marston Gate'), but the former Counting House on the frontage survives.

Trade Mark Details

An assortment of images of the brewery

Marstons Winchester Depot, 1989

The site in 2024