Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd
Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd, Northgate, Newark on Trent, Nottinghamshire.
Founded by Samuel Sketchley at the Tower Wharf Brewery 1766 and was acquired by Richard Warwick in 1856. The Northgate Brewery was built in 1871.
Registered 1888 to merge Richard Warwick & Sons and Richardson, Earp & Slater, Trent Brewery to form above.
- They acquired Henry Jessop's brewery (Newark) in 1892.
- In 1892, they also acquired the Cromwell Brewery of Newark & Sheffield Breweries Co. Ltd.
- In 1897, they acquired Eadon & Co. Ltd of Doncaster with 16 public houses.
- Acquired Morris' Rutland Brewery Ltd (Oakham) in 1905 with 19 public houses on the death of Charles Knowlton Morris.
- Merged with Goodwin Brothers Ltd of Newark in October 1919.
- In 1955, they acquired Smith & Co.(Oundle) Ltd with 83 houses.
- They acquired Brampton Brewery Co. Ltd of Chesterfield in 1955, but had difficulty selling Newark beers to the locals.
- Acquired by John Smith's Tadcaster Brewery Co. Ltd. 1962 and brewing ceased in 1966.
Most buildings remain standing, converted to residential use.
Various views of the brewery.
The following images were taken on a BHS Visit in 2011.
The following images were taken in 2011. Courtesy Steve Peck.