W. J. Rogers Ltd

From Brewery History Society Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rogers Bristol colour view.Jpeg
An advert from 1862
Rogers Bristol playing card.jpg
Simonds letterhead 1951
Punchbowl, Bristol, April 2017
"Orders Taken"

W J Rogers Ltd, 40 Jacob Street, Bristol, Gloucestershire.

Founded in 1845. Registered in July 1894 with 25 tied houses.

They acquired the Maesteg Brewery Co. Ltd in 1898 with 42 public houses and closed that brewery.

J. & T. Usher Ltd of Bristol were acquired in 1922 with about 40 tied houses and that brewery was closed.

Acquired by H & G Simonds Ltd in 1935 and brewing ceased in 1952.

Some of the building remains, having been converted into offices.



The brewery features in The Noted Breweries of Great Britain and Ireland by Alfred Barnard published 1890.


Images of the brewery


The Brewery in April 2017:


Entry in the Trade Mark Registry

Registration No : 60,460
Description : Label design
Date of Application : 28/12/1886
Used Prior to 1870? : NO

Registration No : 62,435
Description : Label design with crossed bottles - Monarch Brand
Date of Application : 22/1/1887
Used Prior to 1870? : NO

Registration No : 3,795
Description : AK Monogram
Date of Application : 11/3/1876
Used Prior to 1870? : 12 years

Registration No : 54,443
Description : Crossed bottles
Date of Application : 3/6/1886
Used Prior to 1870? : NO

Registration No : 548,793
Description : Knight & "ROGERS CHAMPION ALE
Date of Application : 19/02/1934
Used Prior to 1870? : NO