Thwaites & Co. Ltd
Daniel Thwaites & Co. Ltd, Myerscough Road, Mellor Brook, Lancashire, BB2 7LB
Acquired by Daniel Thwaites in 1807. Registered in March 1897. Until 2018 they brewed at the Star Brewery in the centre of Blackburn. A new brewhouse was built in 1966. The Star Brewery was known as the Eanam Brewery until ca.1948.
- Henry Shaw & Co. Ltd of Blackburn acquired in 1924 with 87 public houses and brewing ceased in 1925.
- Fountain Free Brewery Co. Ltd of Rishton acquired in May 1927 with 17 houses.
- Bury Brewery Co. Ltd acquired in 1949 with about 80 tied houses. Reported as finally closed 1955.
- Preston Breweries Ltd acquired in 1955 with 17 pubs when the MD James Mather said they had not been brewing for some time.
- Yates & Jackson Ltd of Lancaster were acquired in November 1984. Thwaites closed the brewery, which was then sold to Mitchells of Lancaster, who brewed there until 1999.
Some of the brewery's major brewing assets, including the Lancaster Bomber and Wainwrights brands, were sold to Marstons in 2015, but a 20-barrel plant was retained in Blackburn for smaller-run beers. In September 2018, they commenced brewing at Mellor Brook. There are plans for a heritage centre there. The Star Brewery was entirely demolished in 2019.
- List of Daniel Thwaites & Co Ltd pubs
- Thwaites, Star Brewery, Blackburn - Photographs taken by Roger Putman - 27 March 2003
- Thwaites - BHS AGM - 26 April 2013
Various images of the Star Brewery, Blackburn