Threlfall & Co Ltd
Threlfall's Brewery Co. Ltd, 21 Trueman Street, Liverpool, City Centre, Merseyside
Established in 1818 in Crosbie Street as Thomas Threlfall & Co. Purchased Lloyd & Gurden's brewery in Trueman Street in 1849, demolishing the Crosbie Street brewery in 1860. Cook Street brewery acquired in 1861, having earlier acquired the Greengate Brewery in 1850. Registered March 1888 to amalgamate J.M.Threlfall & W.A.Matheson, 3/7 Juvenal Street. From 1961 known as Threlfall Chesters Ltd. Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd. 1967 with 800 licensed houses.
Trueman Street closed October 1982.
Threlfall's Brewery Co Ltd,Cook Street Brewery, Salford, Greater Manchester
John Mayor Threlfall of Liverpool purchased from Lupton and Adamthwaite in 1861.
Registered in 1888.
Merged with Chesters of Ardwick in 1961 to form Threlfall’s Chesters Ltd.
Acquired by Whitbread & Co. Ltd in 1967 and brewing ceased 1988.
Still standing in residential use.
Details of the Listing of the Salford site The building is listed, grade 2, and the following is the official description, dating from 1988:-
Brewery. Dated 1896. By WA Deighton. For Threlfall's Brewery Company Ltd. Pressed red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs. T-shaped plan with tower at junction adjoined by copper-room/offices, maturing house and boiler house; apart from the maturing house, in wing to north-east, the buildings line Cook Street.
EXTERIOR: Copper room/offices to SE of tower: 2 storeys, 5:3 bays. Segmentally-arched windows, arched entrances to bays 2 and 4; pilasters divide round-arched first-floor windows each having brick and stone voussoirs under hoodmould broken by keystone; string course and band below slotted brick parapet with dies above each pier. Bays 6-8 form the office block and have large 2-light windows beneath first floor openings and parapet as rest; right end bay projects to form entrance (doorhead altered) under 3-storey tower having corner piers and cornice on corbel table. Transverse stacks between bays 6 and 7 are linked by brick arcade.
Brewery tower: 5 storeys, 5 x 4 bays divided by pilasters which rise to lunettes below top storey; other floors have windows of differing forms; frieze with company name and 'Cook Street Brewery' in white brick beneath louvred top-floor openings; corbel table and slotted parapet. Hipped roof with lunettes in dormers beneath pavilion roof raised on louvred arcading; further dormers and decorative finials. Against NW side of tower is a wooden hoist-shaft. Adjoining eastern corner of tower is a square chimney with arcaded panels and short second stage between cornices; third stage may be of later date. Boiler house at NW end of Cook Street; one storey, 3-1-3-3-1 bays; bays 1-3 have square-headed openings between corniced piers and twinned lunettes set below eaves cornice. Bay 4 forms link to similar building retaining decorative round arches to 2 windows on ground floor. Bays 8-10 have altered opening under 3 round arches; lower parapet to hipped roof with louvred lantern. The final bay is a waggon archway forming link to base of tower. Maturing house in wing to NE of tower: 3 storeys, 3-5 bays with bays 1-3 rising an extra storey under gable and having C20 lift hoist. Segmentally-arched windows to ground and first floor; round-arched windows to second floor (bay 6 blind) linked by impost string course and with hoodmoulds and keystones; cornice beneath frieze with date 'AD 1896' and company name in white brick; gable on left springs from slotted brick panel.
INTERIOR: little altered layout with some original fittings of note. Iron and brass balustrading to galleries in the maturing house and copper room; decorative spiral staircases in the maturing house (altered) and to upper floors of the tower. Copper room has basket-arched iron roof trusses. An impressive example of its type and a notable local landmark.
The Salford Brewery in the 1990s and 2000s.
The Liverpool Brewery